Thursday, November 11, 2010

Enlightened Pet Owner Very Surprised

This has been an amazing discovery! My beautiful 10-month old Keeshond puppy, Carmen Ruttkay, was being stubbornly difficult to train. She is very smart, and gorgeous is not enough to describe her sweet face and luxurious coat. But when I would attempt to walk her she pulled on the lead till my arms ached from trying to hold her back. Now touching the scale at more than 30 lbs, I knew something had to change. I took her to the pet store and read on the back of a halter (as opposed to a collar) that some dogs bred for pulling (like huskies who pull dog sleds though snow) just naturally "pull" when their collar strains a certain place on their necks. Whoa!! Keeshonds are originally from the Netherlands and were originally bred to pull barges along the canals. I thought it way too easy to simply swap her collar and change a total behavior pattern, but definitely worth a $24 try. My Carmen was Immediately a different puppy when the halter replaced the collar. She walked cheerfully alongside me -- nary a pull in sight. This morning, after both of us had a good night's rest, we headed out for our daily walk. There was absolutely NO pulling of any sort. She walked right beside me, adapting her pace to mine, looking up approvingly and appreciatively as we enjoyed the crisp beauty of fall. Maybe dog breeders knew this secret all along, but for me it was a discovery of Einstein proportions! Anyone else have this experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment