Saturday, June 12, 2010

What would I do if I ever had some spare time?

I'd almost forgotten what really drives my engine: What I love to do, to learn, to focus on, to revitalize me. This weekend I have been blessed to rediscover my creative roots. As a retail member of TNNA (The National NeedleArts Association) I have spent the weekend at their national convention. Not only have I been able to take classes in lace knitting and implement beading into their intricate designs, experience the ages-old technique of weaving on a small loom, and learn the Continental style of knitting -- I was able to meet and speak with so many of the women whose genius powers modern needlearts: Laura Nelkin, Lesley Solomon, Nicky Epstein, Liz Gipson, Paula Lishman, to name just a few, whose books and patterns and creativity have been an inspiration to so many of us. Wandering the aisles of vendor exhibits was like feeding my soul the best chocolates ever tasted. At the hotel each evening I have practiced new skills and poured over handouts and articles. I didn't have to sit at the edge of the pond and just dangle my toes -- I have been able to completely immerse myself in yarn, yarn, and more yarn. It would be difficult to put into words the emotional energy these experiences have generated and reignited for me. I've had a blast and can't wait to get back and nurture this rediscovered passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment